The Mission of Taylorsville-Bennion Improvement District
To preserve the public health and environment through safe and reliable distribution of culinary water and collection of sanitary sewer.
1800 West 4700 South
PO Box 18579
Mon-Fri 7:30am – 4:30pm
To sign for service please bring your closing papers to our office and sign our service agreement.
Our service representative will be available to turn on your water from 8:00am to 3:00pm.
Taylorsville-Bennion Improvement District is located six miles southwest of the south end of the Salt Lake City business district and is in the center of the Salt Lake Valley. The District is bordered on the north by West Valley City, on the west by the community of Kearns, on the south by West Jordan and on the east by the Jordan River. Its land mass contains about 13 square miles.
The area was originally settled in 1849 by Mormon settlers who were converted to the Mormon faith in England by church leader John Taylor. Brothers John and Samuel Bennion were called to settle this area by their friend John Taylor. As their posterity grew, they moved into the areas south of the original settlement. These two communities grew together as Taylorsville and Bennion into what has become known as the City of Taylorsville. The City was incorporated in 1996 and operates independently of the District with a slightly different boundary.
The District was created in 1957 as an independent water and sewer special service district under the laws of Salt Lake County. The need for the District grew out of the necessity to provide life sustaining water and sewer disposal needs of an ever increasing population. In a little over 160 years, the community has grown in number from a few families to over 70,000 people. Initially, there were less than 100 connections but today, there are some 17,000.
In the beginning, the District sent its wastewater to another sewer district to be treated. Later, in the 70’s and early 80’s the federal government required consolidation of all treatment plants into large regional facilities. In 1987 the regional plant opened and the District combined with six sister entities to form the Central Valley Water Reclamation Facility.
Westside Water was the predecessor of the water system that began in 1915 and was dissolved and split up between the District and the West Jordan in 1965. Today the District serves its residents through 12 wells, and contracts with the county wholesaler, Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District, for additional water needs.